Sunday, March 7, 2010

Ordinary Superhero

One day while shaving, I caught a flash out of the corner of my eye. It was my son Landon whizzing past the bathroom door with his towel-cape flowing in the wake of his imagination. I watched him pass by the door of our bathroom several times when alas he stopped squarely between the doorframes. Fists propped upon his tiny hips, and with one eyebrow raised to the sun, he stoically announced, “Hello daddy, I - am - a - super-hero.” “Indeed you are, shall I call you “Superman?” I asked.

“No sir”, he replied.

“Batman?”

“No Sir”

“Spiderman then.” I said decidedly.

Again he replied, “No Sir.”

Curiously, I lowered myself to his level and ask slowly, “Then what kind of Super-hero are you?”

“I’m just an ordinary super-hero daddy.” And with that profound bit of wisdom, my baby-boy was gone in a flash.

With Landon’s last phrase my thoughts flew to another “Ordinary Super-Hero”. Thank you Lord for showing up ordinary to do the extraordinary.

Philippians 2:5-8.

Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God;

But made Himself of no reputation, and took upon himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

And being found in fashion as men, humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad we can be in the presence of the "Most High", comfortably...I worry though whether we may be neglecting to convey the HOLINESS of The High and HOLY ONE to the newer generation? We may actually be over-casualizing HIM to an entire generation...Greg, you and Charlotte have a platform that I don't have to help rectify that lack that we have faulted in.

    ReplyDelete